Anyone who has explored the hemp market knows that there are, in fact, various ways to take CBD. This immensely popular hemp-derived compound efficiently absorbs into the body through various means, including:
Each delivery method gives us access to the many studied properties of CBD, but with slight variations in terms of onset time, duration of effects, and even the potency of the effects.
Most popular method for consuming cannabis by far. Inhaling offers some distinctive characteristics that separate it from other delivery methods.
- Inhaling is the fastest way to feel the effects of CBD. Regardless of the specific inhalable product you’ve chosen, you may be able to feel the cannabidiol in action within minutes.
- Effects are felt more potently because of how efficiently the compounds absorb through the lungs.
- The effects are relatively short-lived, often lasting for about an hour.
Types of Inhalable CBD Products
Now, let’s go over the most common types of inhalable hemp products that exist on the market.
- CBD Flower: Raw, pure buds of the hemp plant, which contain the various cannabinoids and terpenes that we desire from the plant material. Flower comes in a wide array of strains and exists in both pre-roll and loose bud form. Loose buds can be smoked in a pipe, rolled into papers, or vaped with a special type of vaping device made for flower.
- CBD Cartridges: Pre-filled with CBD-infused e-liquid, which are disposable and user-friendly. They attach to a low-wattage CBD vape pen device that is easy to operate. These carts come in all kinds of strains and milligram strengths.
- CBD Concentrates: Concentrated forms of the hemp plant, commonly referred to as dabs, which are extremely potent. They come in various forms including shatter, wax, slab, crystalline, and more. They require a special dabbing device for smoking or vaping the product.
Other Factors Worth Noting
CBD vapes and smokables can be used periodically throughout the day. The standard dosage is 1 to 4 puffs, but taking more puffs isn’t considered dangerous. Inhalable products tend to be portable, but some places do not allow you to vape or smoke, so bear this in mind if you need an option that can be enjoyed anywhere.
Note: Some states may not allow certain inhalable products. Therefore, check with your state’s laws to make sure you can legally obtain an inhalable CBD product of your choice.
Ingesting CBD involves actually consuming the cannabidiol through the digestive process. This method behaves quite differently from that of inhaling hemp. For one thing, the effects can take up to 2 hours before they kick in, because the compounds must work their way through the digestive system and get processed by the liver before being released into the bloodstream. But the effects can last for up to 8 hours, while being subtler than those associated with inhalable products.
Types of CBD Products that Can Be Ingested
Ingestible CBD products come in all kinds of delivery methods, flavors, and formulations. Here, we will break down the most common hemp products for ingesting.
- Edibles: Edible products dominate this subcategory, with gummies being the most popular by far. Edibles are food products that are infused with hemp extract, and although CBD gummies reign supreme, you can find many options on the market, including savory snacks, honey, and chocolate bars. They are easy to dose as each piece contains the same amount of hemp extract. Plus, edibles exist in numerous milligram strengths.
- Capsules: These are encapsulated CBD oil products that are swallowed just like any ordinary pill. They may take effect a bit more quickly than edibles because there are not multiple ingredients that must be properly metabolized by the body before the cannabidiol can enter the bloodstream. Available in various milligram strengths and are an extremely easy way to take CBD daily.
- Beverages: Possibly even more fast-absorbing because of their more water-soluble nature, which helps the CBD absorb into the cells of the body more efficiently. Beverages containing hemp include coffee, energy drinks, shots, and teas.
Other Factors Worth Noting
Edibles are a portable option as they can be taken anywhere without restrictions associated with smoking or vaping. Adding to that, because they’re gentler in terms of their effects, they may be suitable for those who are afraid of feeling groggy after taking a higher-than-average dose of CBD.
Note: Edibles and beverages are banned in some states, so before shopping for one of these products, you’ll need to make sure that the formula you have in mind is legal where you live.
Which One is Better?
Clearly, there is no objective winner between the two delivery methods. Each one offers something unique and can be useful to specific types of hemp enthusiasts. You can try experimenting with each one to see which gives you the type of experience that you’re looking for.
Remember that the product you choose is only as good as its quality. So, make sure to look for third-party lab reports on a company’s website before buying from them.
Can You Use Both Methods in One Day?
Yes, you can inhale and ingest CBD in the same day. There are people out there who use multiple products in their hemp routine, because each one offers a uniquely desirable type of experience or satisfies a specific need. Cannabidiol is nontoxic, and so there’s no real concern of taking two doses in one day instead of one. The milligram strength of each product will ultimately determine how potently you will feel the cannabidiol after taking it in two different delivery methods, as will the timing of each dose.
Choice is Yours for Which Delivery Method to Go With
CBD can absorb into the body in all kinds of fascinating ways but inhaling and ingesting the compound are the most in-demand choices on the market, and now you can understand why. Although each one behaves differently in terms of how it offers its effects to the body, they both act as great choices for one’s daily routine. Therefore, make sure to consider both options, and even consider experimenting with both.